Skip to main content

Need to make a life changing decision? Who would you ask for advice?


decisions decisions
A couple of months ago I met up with a friend who I used to teach alongside at a college. She was still teaching four days a week in a school but was considering giving up her job and had asked to meet with me to discuss it.
Up until two years ago I worked full time (and then some as I also taught evenings and some weekends on top of that). I gave up my full time work in order to have a more balanced life, teaching part time and working on developing my jewellery practice. My income has declined drastically but my happiness and feeling of wellbeing has increased and more than makes up for it.
So I met with my friend and she explained that she had been thinking about handing in her notice to devote more time to a year long nutrition coaching course she'd enrolled on and then doing some supply work. She asked me what I thought. I said, 
if you're asking me you've already decided what to do. 
I could see the revelation of that fact appearing on her face. She said, you're right. Everyone in my life has a 9 to 5 job and they don't really understand this gut feeling I have to leave without somewhere to go.

I think, deep down somewhere, we always have a feeling about what is the right thing to do. I think it is often masked and pushed away by what is expected of us, what we feel we should do, our pros and cons list - all of those things. When I was considering leaving my job I had the following going through my head in a loop - 'You're crazy. You want to give up the best paid job you've had in your life in a recession to go to a zero hours contract. That's mad'. Which is probably true. It was mad but it felt like exactly the right thing to do and I do not regret it.

So here is a tip, a way of trying to access that gut feeling. When you think about making this decision, who do you want to ask for advice? It could be someone you know, it could be a fictional character, a famous person. Just think for a minute, who would you ask?
The next question is, what would that person say? I didn't give my friend any advice at all, I merely said the fact you're asking me, someone who has already happily made the choice you're thinking of making says it all. 
Now, she could have contradicted me and said, you're wrong. I'm trying to get advice from lots of people not just you. She could have chosen to speak to someone with a more traditional career path and found out what they thought about it. But she didn't. It felt like a weight off her mind. And now she has left that job. And, like with every decision, she feels good and bad about it. Just as she would have done if she'd stayed.

Let's stay in touch! Follow me on instagram, twitter, facebook and pinterest

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silver clay on the BBC

If you are reading this blog then you probably already know that I make jewellery with a material called metal clay. It's not a well known material so I was really pleased to see it featuring on a programme on BBC1. The programme is called Countryfile and a metal clay artist called Emma Mitchell was featured, interviewed by Anita Rani. Emma talked about the mental health benefits of getting out into the countryside and getting inspiration from nature and natural surroundings. They picked leaves and other natural materials and used them to make moulds and silver jewellery. It's fantastic that silver clay was featured on TV as it raises awareness of the material. The metal clay world is quite small but I haven't met Emma yet although she is also teaching at the Y ou Can Make It metal clay conference in March so I am looking forward to meeting her there. You can watch the programme here on the BBC iplayer until 6th March 2018 (but only if you're in the UK unfortun

Ring a month theme for February 2019

I've been overwhelmed by the number of people being inspired by the Ring A Month challenge. At the time of writing, we have 351 members in the Facebook group and 300 followers on Instagram. If you'd like to join in there's still time! Facebook group  https://www.facebook.com/groups/makearingamonth/ Instagram  https://www.instagram.com/ringamonth/ I have decided to announce the theme for the coming month a week before the start of the month. This is to give people time to think about their designs, particularly those that are busy and have a lot to fit in. The theme for February 2019 is .... music and lyrics Here are some ideas to get you thinking about how to interpret the theme Be inspired by A song/piece of music you love A specific lyric from a song  A style of music e.g. classical, metal, rap, funk etc A musical An instrument/s Music artwork (CD/LP sleeve or music video) A concert you went to (or wish you went to!) A music festival Choose a

Business matters article for Making Jewellery magazine

As part of my role for the London Jewellery School I've been writing the Business Matters column in Making Jewellery magazine for six months now. We've been doing an interview series with jewellers on different aspects of jewellery business. However, this month I am actually featured! I wrote an article on getting press coverage which would be relevant for all small businesses. The magazine is available from Smiths and larger supermarkets so do check it out! It's issue 116, March 2018. This image is shared with permission, copyright GMC publications