Skip to main content

My top 5 favourite podcasts


I have become a big fan of podcasts this year. I listen to them when I am making jewellery and when I am travelling, particularly when I am commuting into London for work. I find they help pass the time and keep my mind occupied.
A podcast is an audio episode, similar to a radio programme. You can download them to a device e.g. a smartphone, iphone, tablet or ipad. Once they are downloaded you can listen to them on the go (you can listen to them via 'streaming' but this can be costly on your mobile data so downloading while you have wifi is best).

Here are my current top five favourites (although I am finding more all the time!)

One



The Undisclosed podcast is my current obsession!
I first heard of Serial from one of my students and became hooked on that and I recommend it if you haven't heard it. In fact, you have to listen to Serial before you listen to Undisclosed.
Serial and Undisclosed look at the case of the murder of Hae Min Lee in Baltimore. Her ex-boyfriend was convicted of the crime and is still in prison but there is reason to doubt that he did it (I certainly don't believe he did based on the evidence I've heard on Undisclosed).
Both these podcasts are a fascinating look at criminal investigation and I listen to the episodes multiple times while I'm out and about.

Two
Happier is a weekly podcast by Gretchen Rubin and her sister Elizabeth Craft. Gretchen Rubin's most recent book is called Better than before and I will do a review of it on the blog before long as I think it is fantastic.
On the podcast Gretchen and Elizabeth discuss how to create good habits, increase happiness and give themselves gold stars and demerits for things they've done during the week.

Three

At this very moment I am listening to the latest viberide mix (mix 87). This is a funk music podcast and the mixes are released every three weeks or so. Each mix tends to be an hour or so of a mix of funky tunes from the 70s, 80s and more recent tracks. There are also some shows featuring specific artists including Herbie Hancock, Nile Rodgers and Prince.
I guess this is about music taste and viberide is spot on for me. Give it a try!

Four

Magic Lessons is the podcast of author Elizabeth Gilbert. She has an upcoming book due out in September called Big Magic which is about creativity which I am really looking forward to reading. In this podcast she talks to a member of the public who has a creativity challenge and offers advice. She then talks to another creative person to discuss the case. She has so far spoken to Rob Bell and Cheryl Strayed, Ann Patchett next week.

Five
Creative living with Jamie is one of the first creativity podcasts I started listening to and I love the format. Jamie Ridler is a Canadian artist and podcaster and interviews people about their creative process. It's fascinating to hear about different types of creativity and overcoming stumbling blocks.

Frankly, I realise these podcasts sum me up pretty well!

What have I missed? I'd love to hear about the podcasts you love. Please let me know in the comments below

Let's stay in touch! Follow me on instagram, twitter, facebook and pinterest



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silver clay on the BBC

If you are reading this blog then you probably already know that I make jewellery with a material called metal clay. It's not a well known material so I was really pleased to see it featuring on a programme on BBC1. The programme is called Countryfile and a metal clay artist called Emma Mitchell was featured, interviewed by Anita Rani. Emma talked about the mental health benefits of getting out into the countryside and getting inspiration from nature and natural surroundings. They picked leaves and other natural materials and used them to make moulds and silver jewellery. It's fantastic that silver clay was featured on TV as it raises awareness of the material. The metal clay world is quite small but I haven't met Emma yet although she is also teaching at the Y ou Can Make It metal clay conference in March so I am looking forward to meeting her there. You can watch the programme here on the BBC iplayer until 6th March 2018 (but only if you're in the UK unfortun

Ring a month theme for February 2019

I've been overwhelmed by the number of people being inspired by the Ring A Month challenge. At the time of writing, we have 351 members in the Facebook group and 300 followers on Instagram. If you'd like to join in there's still time! Facebook group  https://www.facebook.com/groups/makearingamonth/ Instagram  https://www.instagram.com/ringamonth/ I have decided to announce the theme for the coming month a week before the start of the month. This is to give people time to think about their designs, particularly those that are busy and have a lot to fit in. The theme for February 2019 is .... music and lyrics Here are some ideas to get you thinking about how to interpret the theme Be inspired by A song/piece of music you love A specific lyric from a song  A style of music e.g. classical, metal, rap, funk etc A musical An instrument/s Music artwork (CD/LP sleeve or music video) A concert you went to (or wish you went to!) A music festival Choose a

Business matters article for Making Jewellery magazine

As part of my role for the London Jewellery School I've been writing the Business Matters column in Making Jewellery magazine for six months now. We've been doing an interview series with jewellers on different aspects of jewellery business. However, this month I am actually featured! I wrote an article on getting press coverage which would be relevant for all small businesses. The magazine is available from Smiths and larger supermarkets so do check it out! It's issue 116, March 2018. This image is shared with permission, copyright GMC publications