Skip to main content

Reblog - dealing with your UFOs (unfinished objects)


Did anyone else feel the need to clean their house on new years eve? I know many people were having parties, seeing fireworks, having fun while I was slaving over a hot vacuum cleaner but I had this compulsion to see in the new year in a tidy, clean home. (Which perhaps says a little too much about my home ordinarily but I do live with a moulting ginger tom).
This short-lived upsurge in house cleaning reminded me that I have some UFOs lurking about; some Unfinished Objects.

So let’s be honest here. Do you have any UFOs on your workbench? Things that you started making but couldn’t quite get finished because

  1. it didn’t look at all like you had in mind
  2. you lost momentum with it
  3. you suddenly had a great idea for something else
  4. christmas was so busy there’s now a thin layer of dust over all of your jewellery making equipment
  5. all of the above?



It is easy for us to end up with unfinished objects and I suspect it’s not just me (I can see something right now that has been there for about two years, low estimate). When I asked the LJS marketing co-ordinator Bronagh if she thought this was a good idea for a blog post she called herself a ‘veteran UFO collector’. I imagine the two of us are the tip of the iceberg.

So, here’s what you can do about your UFOs

  1. Leave them and do nothing
This is a fine strategy if it is a strategy and not an avoidance issue. If your box of UFOs pulses menacingly at you every time you glance at it reminding you of ‘all your failures’ (the box’s words, not mine) then you need to move onto step 2

2. Look through your pieces with fresh eyes
Take a deep breath and open the box. Look at each piece in turn and decide what to do with it. DECIDE WHAT TO DO WITH IT. Putting it back in the box isn’t an option.

3. Finish some things off and ditch/recycle the rest
I’d spent a long time making something complex out of silver clay and I knew deep down it wasn’t working. I left it aside for quite a while but when I looked at it again I knew it would be a waste to fire it. So I put it in my silver clay grinder (aka a coffee grinder) and ground it up.

All of this needs to be done with minimal psychological damage to yourself. Ha, yes I know what you’re thinking; if minimal psychological damage were possible you would already have done this. So here are your superpower super mantras to help you through. You are to repeat these over and over until you are immune to the negative power of the UFO.

This was a great idea at the time.
It was or you wouldn’t have tried it. Perhaps in the execution it didn’t quite work but THAT’S WHAT LEARNING IS

Starting to make this gave me an even better idea
This is the ONLY way we get better ideas, by trying things out. Maybe your UFO is a prototype for a brilliant idea that came to you later. If that’s so, leave it as it is, frame it and give it the title ‘the birth of an idea’. Put it in a prominent place to remind yourself that there are no mistakes, everything is learning.

Knowing what I don’t like is just as valuable as knowing what I do like
Sometimes we berate ourselves for trying new things and finding we don’t like them. Please try to stop this or limit it to ten minutes of berating per week. Knowing you don’t like something can help you focus on what you do like and that can only be good.

So, repeat after me:
This was a great idea at the time
Starting this gave me an even better idea
There are no mistakes, everything is learning
Knowing what I don’t like is just as valuable as knowing what I do like

Take a deep breath and open the box.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silver clay on the BBC

If you are reading this blog then you probably already know that I make jewellery with a material called metal clay. It's not a well known material so I was really pleased to see it featuring on a programme on BBC1. The programme is called Countryfile and a metal clay artist called Emma Mitchell was featured, interviewed by Anita Rani. Emma talked about the mental health benefits of getting out into the countryside and getting inspiration from nature and natural surroundings. They picked leaves and other natural materials and used them to make moulds and silver jewellery. It's fantastic that silver clay was featured on TV as it raises awareness of the material. The metal clay world is quite small but I haven't met Emma yet although she is also teaching at the Y ou Can Make It metal clay conference in March so I am looking forward to meeting her there. You can watch the programme here on the BBC iplayer until 6th March 2018 (but only if you're in the UK unfortun

Ring a month theme for February 2019

I've been overwhelmed by the number of people being inspired by the Ring A Month challenge. At the time of writing, we have 351 members in the Facebook group and 300 followers on Instagram. If you'd like to join in there's still time! Facebook group  https://www.facebook.com/groups/makearingamonth/ Instagram  https://www.instagram.com/ringamonth/ I have decided to announce the theme for the coming month a week before the start of the month. This is to give people time to think about their designs, particularly those that are busy and have a lot to fit in. The theme for February 2019 is .... music and lyrics Here are some ideas to get you thinking about how to interpret the theme Be inspired by A song/piece of music you love A specific lyric from a song  A style of music e.g. classical, metal, rap, funk etc A musical An instrument/s Music artwork (CD/LP sleeve or music video) A concert you went to (or wish you went to!) A music festival Choose a

Business matters article for Making Jewellery magazine

As part of my role for the London Jewellery School I've been writing the Business Matters column in Making Jewellery magazine for six months now. We've been doing an interview series with jewellers on different aspects of jewellery business. However, this month I am actually featured! I wrote an article on getting press coverage which would be relevant for all small businesses. The magazine is available from Smiths and larger supermarkets so do check it out! It's issue 116, March 2018. This image is shared with permission, copyright GMC publications