Skip to main content

Learning from the masters!

I have been very fortunate to be able to attend masterclasses in metal clay with a number of fantastic artists. I spend a large proportion of my income on doing this as it is my passion and I know that by spending a couple of days with someone you learn so much more than you ever will from a book (although I love books too!)
I am now looking at the masterclasses for 2014 (I'll write about those in a future post!) but I thought I would think over what the artists I have studied with so far have taught me. Not just techniques as there have been too many of those to list, but a general ethos to inspire and inform my work.

Julia Rai is a British metal clay artist, fantastic teacher and director at the Cornwall School of Arts Craft and Jewellery. She was the first person in the world to achieve Metal Clay Masters registry level 4 (there are 5 levels).
I have taken five accredited courses with her and have learnt more every time.
I think the main thing I have taken from studying with her is the importance of attention to detail. When she puts her glasses on (we always try to hide those!) she will point out any dinks or imperfections in the clay that need to be dealt with. This has stood me in good stead, everything needs to be perfect before firing as it's much easier to fix at that stage.






Terry Kovalcik

I was very fortunate to take a locket class with Terry at Craftworx studio, Yorkshire. He is a fantastic artist and teacher.
The thing I took from Terry was measure twice, cut once.

I am not a measurer as I tend to be a bit impatient but I have learnt the importance of ensuring everything is accurate the hard way, particularly with precision work like making metal clay boxes. Terry uses dividers to accurately measure and I have invested in some for myself to help me be as accurate as possible.






Lisa Barth


I took a silver clay and leather cuff class with Lisa this year. It was kind of an unusual class for me to take as a vegetarian but I used faux leather and was happy with the results.
In Lisa's excellent book Designing from the Stone she talks about not being naturally talented but very committed to learning. So I learnt from Lisa persistence.






Patrik Kusek

I was very fortunate to be on the first Rio Rewards PMC certification run outside of the US. It was run at the Mid Cornwall School of Jewellery.

I learnt from Patrik to make learning lighthearted and fun!




Anna Mazon

I love Anna's work and bought one of her rings which I love.
What I learnt from Anna is to keep working at it to find your own style












Joy Funnell

I love the work Joy does with enamel on silver clay so I took a one to one tutorial with her in her home studio. I learnt from Joy to mix the old and new - the old techniques of enamelling with the new product silver clay.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silver clay on the BBC

If you are reading this blog then you probably already know that I make jewellery with a material called metal clay. It's not a well known material so I was really pleased to see it featuring on a programme on BBC1. The programme is called Countryfile and a metal clay artist called Emma Mitchell was featured, interviewed by Anita Rani. Emma talked about the mental health benefits of getting out into the countryside and getting inspiration from nature and natural surroundings. They picked leaves and other natural materials and used them to make moulds and silver jewellery. It's fantastic that silver clay was featured on TV as it raises awareness of the material. The metal clay world is quite small but I haven't met Emma yet although she is also teaching at the Y ou Can Make It metal clay conference in March so I am looking forward to meeting her there. You can watch the programme here on the BBC iplayer until 6th March 2018 (but only if you're in the UK unfortun

Ring a month theme for February 2019

I've been overwhelmed by the number of people being inspired by the Ring A Month challenge. At the time of writing, we have 351 members in the Facebook group and 300 followers on Instagram. If you'd like to join in there's still time! Facebook group  https://www.facebook.com/groups/makearingamonth/ Instagram  https://www.instagram.com/ringamonth/ I have decided to announce the theme for the coming month a week before the start of the month. This is to give people time to think about their designs, particularly those that are busy and have a lot to fit in. The theme for February 2019 is .... music and lyrics Here are some ideas to get you thinking about how to interpret the theme Be inspired by A song/piece of music you love A specific lyric from a song  A style of music e.g. classical, metal, rap, funk etc A musical An instrument/s Music artwork (CD/LP sleeve or music video) A concert you went to (or wish you went to!) A music festival Choose a

Business matters article for Making Jewellery magazine

As part of my role for the London Jewellery School I've been writing the Business Matters column in Making Jewellery magazine for six months now. We've been doing an interview series with jewellers on different aspects of jewellery business. However, this month I am actually featured! I wrote an article on getting press coverage which would be relevant for all small businesses. The magazine is available from Smiths and larger supermarkets so do check it out! It's issue 116, March 2018. This image is shared with permission, copyright GMC publications