Skip to main content

Metal clay competitions

I have finally received my magnetic polisher after about seven weeks wait and I've stocked up on some clay - I'm ready to go!
I have started to look at a few metal clay/jewellery competitions. They give an interesting focus and a deadline to work to. I have found the following competitions. If you know of any more I'd appreciate it if you would add it to the comments section at the bottom of this post.

London Jewellery School student competition
This competition is open to anyone that has taken a class or is booked to take a class in the future. I have taken a few classes with them. The deadline is next Friday so I don't know if I'm going to make anything new particularly but I think I'll enter something.


Art Clay Guild competition
The Art Clay Guild theme for this year's competition is 'Fantasy, Myth and Magic'. This has really got me thinking and sketching over the last few weeks. The closing date for this one is 31st August so I have a little bit of time to work a piece up. As a member of the guild I am up against the most talented Art Clayers in the UK! But I will give it a go and I'll post an image of my piece soon.


Metal Clay Today competition
The theme of the competition is 'Metal Clay in Motion'. I have to admit I haven't had any brilliant flashes of inspiration as yet and I have  only until 20th July so we'll see if I get an entry in for this!


Grace and Firefly blog


A friend Chu Mei Ho won the last Metal Clay Today competition with this piece for the 'Jewellery for him' theme.








Saul Bell Design Award
I suspect it may be a few years before I feel confident enough to enter this competition! But I will keep an eye on the shortlists and winners who are always so inspirational.


Saul Bell Award shortlisted piece by Julia Rai


One of my teachers, Julia Rai, was shortlisted this year with this stunning silver clay piece.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making a hollow form silver clay ring

One of the benefits of starting the Make A Ring A Month movement is that I get to choose the theme each month! I had already settled on t exture as the theme for January and had a good idea of what I wanted my ring to look like. And weirdly it has ended up as I imagined it would (that doesn't often happen!). I decided to create a hollow form ring because I am a bit obsessed with making box forms at the moment. If you'd like to learn how to do that I suggest taking a look at this online course  with Tracey Spurgin. I then carved into the silver clay to make the texture. I use the  dockyard micro carving tools .  I kiln fired the ring (I always recommend kiln firing rings as they need the strength of a long hot firing). I fired at 880 centigrade for 1.5 hours. Although I'll add here that I'm pretty sure my kiln is underfiring at them moment meaning that it is heating up to lower than the temperature it states. I need to do a proper kiln test f...

Silver clay on the BBC

If you are reading this blog then you probably already know that I make jewellery with a material called metal clay. It's not a well known material so I was really pleased to see it featuring on a programme on BBC1. The programme is called Countryfile and a metal clay artist called Emma Mitchell was featured, interviewed by Anita Rani. Emma talked about the mental health benefits of getting out into the countryside and getting inspiration from nature and natural surroundings. They picked leaves and other natural materials and used them to make moulds and silver jewellery. It's fantastic that silver clay was featured on TV as it raises awareness of the material. The metal clay world is quite small but I haven't met Emma yet although she is also teaching at the Y ou Can Make It metal clay conference in March so I am looking forward to meeting her there. You can watch the programme here on the BBC iplayer until 6th March 2018 (but only if you're in the UK unfortun...

Ring a month theme for February 2019

I've been overwhelmed by the number of people being inspired by the Ring A Month challenge. At the time of writing, we have 351 members in the Facebook group and 300 followers on Instagram. If you'd like to join in there's still time! Facebook group  https://www.facebook.com/groups/makearingamonth/ Instagram  https://www.instagram.com/ringamonth/ I have decided to announce the theme for the coming month a week before the start of the month. This is to give people time to think about their designs, particularly those that are busy and have a lot to fit in. The theme for February 2019 is .... music and lyrics Here are some ideas to get you thinking about how to interpret the theme Be inspired by A song/piece of music you love A specific lyric from a song  A style of music e.g. classical, metal, rap, funk etc A musical An instrument/s Music artwork (CD/LP sleeve or music video) A concert you went to (or wish you went to!) A music festival Choose ...