Skip to main content

Mid Cornwall School of Jewellery

Last weekend I went to the Mid Cornwall School of Jewellery for the first time. It is near Par in Cornwall. This is a LOOOOOONG way from my house! I loaded up the ipad (I work in technology so this is a work ipad - I am very lucky, they are so cool!) with a couple of films, some books, some games etc and stocked up on snacks. The train journey from Paddington was fine and I was lucky enough to be staying at the Boslowen guest house which was recommended by other students at the jewellery school. They picked me up from the train station and took me to and from the jewellery school every day which was so handy as I can't drive and I think cabs are a bit scarce around that way.

Saturday 8th January
Another student from the jewellery school was also staying at the Boslowen so we were dropped off there together. MCSJ is based in a farm building that was mentioned in a Daphne Du Maurier book. The workshop we were taught in was large and very well stocked with all the equipment we could need (and lots we probably didn't!). There were seven of us students altogether with a varying degree of experience in metal clay from beginners to people with their own fingerprint jewellery business.
The pace was very intense. We had a number of projects to complete within the two days and as this is a certificated course, everything had to be done to the correct standard. We learnt how to reconstitute dried out clay, made earrings with different types of PMC, made a silicone shell mould, a shell charm, a leaf bead and a cork clay bead.
We stopped for lunch but kept going the rest of the time. We were given our homework before leaving in the evening.
My fellow Boslowen and I were exhausted! We managed to have a great meal and a chat in a pub and then went back to the BandB to finish our homework!

Sunday 9th January
We were back again by 9.30 to finish off some pieces before the start of the final day at 10am. I'd had a bit of a nightmare with my shell charm (I dropped it when I popped it out of the silicone mould and had to re-do it) so I felt up against it. We made two types of pendants and did a lot of finishing and polishing. I found drilling into the shell very challenging as there weren't any straight bits to drill into and the drill kept slipping off.
I particularly enjoyed learning how to do the ear wires for the earrings.

On the whole, I did learn a lot from this course. Having done the Art Clay level 1 I was hoping to find that this wasn't too challenging but the pace meant that I felt up against it a lot of the time. I have to be honest with myself and say that I don't think I'd practiced enough before doing this course. The next level is in March and I plan to do a lot of practice before then.

On the level 1 course I learnt the following things that I couldn't do before

- how to make a silicone mould and mould silver clay shapes
- how to fire and make my own earring wires
- innovative uses of household objects for texturing clay
- how to make a clay bail
- how to make a wrap over pendant
- how to reconstitute clay
- how to make a cork clay bead

And lots more.
I do recommend the course for those that are serious about their silver clay, those who really want to progress either to sell quality work or to teach. It's tough though and I was glad that I wasn't down to do the level 2 consecutively as I had originally planned (although I think I will do levels 3 and 4 together). Julia Rai is an excellent teacher and I thoroughly enjoyed the company of the other students on the course. I didn't enjoy the six hour journey home! But it can't be helped.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silver clay on the BBC

If you are reading this blog then you probably already know that I make jewellery with a material called metal clay. It's not a well known material so I was really pleased to see it featuring on a programme on BBC1. The programme is called Countryfile and a metal clay artist called Emma Mitchell was featured, interviewed by Anita Rani. Emma talked about the mental health benefits of getting out into the countryside and getting inspiration from nature and natural surroundings. They picked leaves and other natural materials and used them to make moulds and silver jewellery. It's fantastic that silver clay was featured on TV as it raises awareness of the material. The metal clay world is quite small but I haven't met Emma yet although she is also teaching at the Y ou Can Make It metal clay conference in March so I am looking forward to meeting her there. You can watch the programme here on the BBC iplayer until 6th March 2018 (but only if you're in the UK unfortun

Ring a month theme for February 2019

I've been overwhelmed by the number of people being inspired by the Ring A Month challenge. At the time of writing, we have 351 members in the Facebook group and 300 followers on Instagram. If you'd like to join in there's still time! Facebook group  https://www.facebook.com/groups/makearingamonth/ Instagram  https://www.instagram.com/ringamonth/ I have decided to announce the theme for the coming month a week before the start of the month. This is to give people time to think about their designs, particularly those that are busy and have a lot to fit in. The theme for February 2019 is .... music and lyrics Here are some ideas to get you thinking about how to interpret the theme Be inspired by A song/piece of music you love A specific lyric from a song  A style of music e.g. classical, metal, rap, funk etc A musical An instrument/s Music artwork (CD/LP sleeve or music video) A concert you went to (or wish you went to!) A music festival Choose a

Business matters article for Making Jewellery magazine

As part of my role for the London Jewellery School I've been writing the Business Matters column in Making Jewellery magazine for six months now. We've been doing an interview series with jewellers on different aspects of jewellery business. However, this month I am actually featured! I wrote an article on getting press coverage which would be relevant for all small businesses. The magazine is available from Smiths and larger supermarkets so do check it out! It's issue 116, March 2018. This image is shared with permission, copyright GMC publications