Skip to main content

Art Clay level 1

I am proud to say that I have just passed my Art Clay level 1 certificate. It is an industry standard course which allows me to teach Art Clay beginners sessions. This was a three day course which I took at the London Jewellery School. I was very fortunate to be taught by Julia Rai, a world class name in Silver Clay and an excellent teacher. She was the first person in the world to achieve level 3 Metal Clay Masters Registry (at the time of writing only two people have achieved that level and the second is also from the UK).
The Art Clay level 1 course is very intense, you make seven items that have to conform to the standards required. Having done a beginners course and made a few items at home I found some of the things OK to make and some things challenging. I'm very pleased with a couple of items

My favourites are
lacy ball earrings

daily casual ring
I'm not a big fan of rings and they can be difficult to size because Art Clay and PMC shrink when fired. However, I am chuffed with this one

twig brooch

leaf pendant




The items that are OK but I probably won't be wearing!
Pearl ring
This was such a nightmare! I had loads of problems getting a string of clay that was the right shape and consistency. The others in the class were waiting for me! And then, on the final day, I dropped it and it broke into three pieces! I had to quickly repair it. Luckily I managed to get a borderline pass. In the course book there is a design using the same technique to make earrings. I think I will give that a go to lay the ghosts to rest!

Flat band ring
This ring is fine. I'm pleased that you can't tell where the join is which is important. I don't like the syringe work I did here

Leaf motif pendant
This is OK. Nothing special as far as I'm concerned. The technique is useful (being able to syringe a shape and adding layers) so I will try it again on another project

Anyway, so now I'm hooked on metal clay as a medium! It is great to have learnt so many new techniques in the space of three days. I look at the book I have and can see how I could do each project and make it more my own.
I have already signed up for level 1 of the Metal Clay diploma at Mid Cornwall School of Jewellery with Julia as my teacher again. Here they do a diploma that is well recognised and independent of the clay manufacturers. My aim is to do level 1 and 2 of the diploma in 2011 and level 3 and 4 in 2012. There are also loads of other courses to do in the meantime! And I am seriously considering getting my own kiln. I suspect I will do that in the next couple of months.
I am really excited about it all. Watch this space for developments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silver clay on the BBC

If you are reading this blog then you probably already know that I make jewellery with a material called metal clay. It's not a well known material so I was really pleased to see it featuring on a programme on BBC1. The programme is called Countryfile and a metal clay artist called Emma Mitchell was featured, interviewed by Anita Rani. Emma talked about the mental health benefits of getting out into the countryside and getting inspiration from nature and natural surroundings. They picked leaves and other natural materials and used them to make moulds and silver jewellery. It's fantastic that silver clay was featured on TV as it raises awareness of the material. The metal clay world is quite small but I haven't met Emma yet although she is also teaching at the Y ou Can Make It metal clay conference in March so I am looking forward to meeting her there. You can watch the programme here on the BBC iplayer until 6th March 2018 (but only if you're in the UK unfortun

Ring a month theme for February 2019

I've been overwhelmed by the number of people being inspired by the Ring A Month challenge. At the time of writing, we have 351 members in the Facebook group and 300 followers on Instagram. If you'd like to join in there's still time! Facebook group  https://www.facebook.com/groups/makearingamonth/ Instagram  https://www.instagram.com/ringamonth/ I have decided to announce the theme for the coming month a week before the start of the month. This is to give people time to think about their designs, particularly those that are busy and have a lot to fit in. The theme for February 2019 is .... music and lyrics Here are some ideas to get you thinking about how to interpret the theme Be inspired by A song/piece of music you love A specific lyric from a song  A style of music e.g. classical, metal, rap, funk etc A musical An instrument/s Music artwork (CD/LP sleeve or music video) A concert you went to (or wish you went to!) A music festival Choose a

Business matters article for Making Jewellery magazine

As part of my role for the London Jewellery School I've been writing the Business Matters column in Making Jewellery magazine for six months now. We've been doing an interview series with jewellers on different aspects of jewellery business. However, this month I am actually featured! I wrote an article on getting press coverage which would be relevant for all small businesses. The magazine is available from Smiths and larger supermarkets so do check it out! It's issue 116, March 2018. This image is shared with permission, copyright GMC publications